Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Dinner Time.



I made a yummy dinner tonight and I thought I would share it with you guys!

Mahi Mahi. Whit and I eat a lot of fish and Mahi Mahi is one of my favorites. When I first started eating fish this was a mild choice that I could really enjoy. The texture reminds me quite a bit like chicken..not as tough but similar. If you don’t eat fish this is a great one to start with.

Mahi Mahi:
2 Filets
1 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
2 Garlic Cloves, minced
Salt and Pepper

Directions: Salt and pepper both sides of the filets generously. Heat 1 1/2 Tbsp. of olive oil in skillet, add the garlic. On medium heat place filets in the skillet and let cook for about 3-4 minutes on each side (depending on size of filet). They cook quickly...once the filet starts to “flake” the fish is done.


Quinoa and Green Bean Salad. I found this recipe in the Martha Stewart Body and Soul magazine. I had been wanting to try quinoa but had not found a recipe I wanted to try. Quinoa is really high in protein  and is a great source of iron and magnesium. I have to say that this recipe was really really good. Both Whit and I were pleasantly surprised.

Quinoa and Green Bean Salad:
1 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 small onion
1 clove Garlic, minced
1/2 cup Quinoa
3/4 cup water
1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 Tbsp. red-wine vinegar

Directions:
1. Heat oil in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, 1/8 tsp. salt, and a pinch of pepper. Cook, stirring, until translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in quinoa and cook for 1 minute. Add water. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until water is absorbed, about 16 minutes. Remove from heat. Let stand 10 minutes; fluff with fork. Cool completely, about 25 minutes.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tsp. of salt and beans, cooking until bright green, about 4 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water.
3. Combine quinoa and green beans. Dress with 1/8 cup olive oil, red-wine vinegar, 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper.

This really was soooo good.


Broiled Tomatoes. This is by far the easiest dish you can make. It is very simple but at the same time really refreshing and good.
  
Broiled Tomatoes:
2-4 plum tomatoes
Olive Oil to drizzle
Salt and Pepper

Directions:
Set oven to Broil. Cut tomatoes in halves or quarters. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place tomatoes evenly. Drizzle tomatoes with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cook tomatoes for 5-10 minutes. Don’t let them get to mushy. (I use such technical terms) :)


I left the broiler on for dessert and I cut two peaches in half, sprinkled them with cinnamon and baked them for 5-10 minutes. YUM! This is my new favorite dessert.:)

Let me know if you try any of these dishes! Happy eating!!

3 comments:

  1. Delicious! I might have to wander into the kitchen for a midnight snack...I kid, I kid!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have always wanted us to try some fish. Chris and i both do not like fish. so maybe we shall start with this and see if we like it! thanks so much! i will let you know how we like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dad and I have never been fish lovers either - unless you count fried catfish - :). Sounds like something we should try - I'll let you know. Thanks for sharing. Will definitely try the peaches - YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena