Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Writing Letters.

 

I have found one “art form” that has been lost over the years due to technology and lack of time is writing letters. There is something so romantic and timeless about taking the time to sit down and write someone. It’s very Pride and Prejudice. When I was little I used to get really upset whenever I would visit my Grandmama and Pa-Pa and then had to leave to go home...I would just cry and cry. I loved spending time with them and I always hated to leave. One day my mom suggested that I write her letters when I got upset. So that’s what I did. We would write each other back and forth. We did this for awhile. Out of that I then wrote her a poem that ended with...(I believe I was 8 years old or so)
  
 “We write each other letters so we can stay in touch...this way I can tell her I love her very much...”

Precious.:)

I told Whit about a month ago that I wanted to start writing again. That I wanted to be able to send my grandmother letters like when I was little. SO on our anniversary he got me new stationary so that I could do just that. So sweet. I am very excited about starting this back up. (Psssst. I have already mailed the first letter...my grandmother should receive it very soon.) Having these letters from people that I care about and love is something that I will treasure forever. It means so much more than printing an email. I think what it really comes down to is showing people that they matter...they matter enough to put pen to paper...

Who would you write a letter to?

5 comments:

  1. Weird that you posted this...last night I wrote a letter to my mom (a quick note; I made a postcard out of a piece of cardstock) saying that I was excited to see her this weekend. I liked being able to date it "Monday" instead of a month/date/year...since I'll be seeing her in the same week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I still write thank-you's all the time. I love writing actual letters. It is much more special than an e-mail. I bet the stationary is adorable! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grandmama will be so excited to get your letter - truth be known she was probably crying as much as you were every time you left. I just hope one day to have my grandchildren love visiting ME so much that they cry when they leave. I found a letter you wrote me the other day - I had saved it. Sometime I'll show it to you. Wish I could write my grandmother a letter. I'll have to think about who to write to - you have inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so sweet! she will love it so much! i have always loved writing actual cards to people. i don't do it as much since i became a mommy ;) but Chris always makes fun (in a sweet way) of my organized file box of cards! i have a file for b-day, anniversaries, just because, romantic, stationary, etc! i was just thinking the other day i need to be better about that. :) thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're the sweetest, my dear. Enjoy the stationary!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena