Friday, June 25, 2010

A Summer Project


One of my most favorite magazines to get in the mail is my Martha Stewart Body and Soul. It has really great info on food and nutrition and all sorts of fun facts. Last night we got home from our small group and I went to check the mail and found my new issue! I went straight to my bed where I read the whole thing while Whit watched Futurama. :) One of the articles in the magazine really got me excited and I think I am going to make it a summer project to see if I can do it!

Whit and I use a lot of tomatoes in different recipes that we use. Diced tomatoes, whole tomatoes, etc etc. They are really good for you because of the lycopene. The lycopene is actually responsible for the bright red color that the tomatoes have...lycopene has many benefits... it’s an antioxidant and it is a cancer fighter. It can help prevent prostate cancer, mouth cancer and others, it helps fight/guard aging skin, it helps with diabetes and cardiovascular issues and it may prevent osteoporosis. So all and all the lycopene that is found in tomatoes is pretty awesome. In order to get the best result from the lycopene it is best that the tomatoes are heated just a bit. (Pssst. Other foods with lycopene are: watermelon, grapefruit, guava, rosehips and papaya.)

Soooo as I was reading last night they had an article about canning tomatoes. I have always been fascinated with the whole “canning” process...but that was about as far as it went. Well in the article it gave a step by step process on how to can your own tomatoes. Seeing that we probably go through a couple cans of tomatoes every 2 weeks or so this would be really cool to know how to do...that way when peak tomato season comes around (right now) we can stock up on really fresh tomatoes to have throughout the year. Not to mention it would also be a money saver as well. SO this summer that is what I am going to do...learn to can tomatoes...when I get done I’ll post the results on here! Whit’s grandmother is an expert “canner” maybe she will teach me some great “tips”!

If anyone would like to learn with me that would be so fun! Who knows what we would could can next!

(I just re-read this before posting and felt like the biggest nerd...please tell me someone else thinks canning tomatoes is somewhat fun!? Oh well!:)

5 comments:

  1. great idea! my mom is an expert canner as well and did tomatoes and green beans from our garden every year when we were growing up. now we just need a garden to make it even more cost-efffective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Considering my recent realization of the awesomeness of tomatoes, I think now is perfect time to start canning! We'll say so long to terrible, off season tomatoes together! And I'm with Nate, where can we put that garden?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We could get those hanging basket things where the tomatoes grow out the bottom...they kind of freak me out a bit...but it's worth a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Holts use those and they get ALOT of tomatoes from them - very strange looking - but - who cares!! Maybe I can get you veggies from our neighborhood garden. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena