Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Running


Growing up I didn’t play many “team” sports. I’m not really sure why...I guess I would need to ask my parents about that one. We were really active in a lot of other things so I never felt like I was missing out on anything. But one thing that I did do was run. I ran in a track and field league. I actually really enjoyed it and did really well at it for my age...if I can say so myself! I think part of my enjoyment of it growing up was that my dad was a runner too...we would run together every now and then...although he is 6.3” and as a teenager this was hard to keep up...I was either sprinting the whole time or he was walking...so you know.  I believe being active in something like that as a teenager really helped me to be able to carry it over in my adult life...although it still can be a real struggle.

When I really started running again about two years ago I really focused on building my stamina to run long distances. I was running 9 miles on the weekends and shorter distances on the weekdays. I really enjoyed the “runner’s high” that you would get...although my toenails saw better days (gross). When you run longer distances at a steady pace it really makes your body lean but I found that it didn’t tone as much as I would have liked. I was not adding enough other exercises with the running.

When I started back up recently I decided to change up my routine a little bit. Instead of only running distances I have started integrating a running cycle that I found in Women’s Health. I have really enjoyed it. Not only is it shorter than most of my runs, you burn almost the same amount of calories..sometimes more... and I can really feel the difference in areas that normally didn’t get worked out as much...aka...the butte’.  I also like it because it changes so often that you don’t get bored while running...it keeps things moving. I thought I would share it with you in case you would like to add it to your workout routine!

3 minutes--3-4 mph
2 minutes--5 mph
1 minute-- 7 mph
1 minute-- 4 mph
1 minute-- 5 mph
1 minute-- 7 mph
1 minute-- 4 mph
1 minute-- 5 mph
1 minute-- 8 mph
1 minute-- 4 mph
1 minute-- 5 mph
1 minute-- 8 mph
1 minute-- 4 mph
1 minute-- 5 mph
1 minute-- 9 mph
1 minute-- 4 mph
1 minute-- 5 mph
1 minute-- 9 mph
1 minute-- 4 mph
1 minute-- 5 mph
2 minutes-- 6 mph
3 minutes-- 3 mph

If you are feeling extra ambitious sometimes I will double the run and start over at the end of the cycle. Also feel free to change up the "mph" to whatever works best for you...but at the same time continually pushing yourself. WARNING-- When you run at 8.0-9.0 mph all concentration needs to be on the running...there are times that I imagine myself flying off the back of the treadmill and landing flat on my face. It wouldn't be pretty.

Let me know what you think!

5 comments:

  1. I've actually used a method really similar to that for a couple of years. I use 3 minute cycles (2min at a comfortable pace and the last minute at a pace that increases a little bit in each cycle - ie. 6.7, 7, 7.3, 7.6, 8, etc) It's a lot of fun and a killer workout

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I'm so glad you're blogging again!!

    I remember you sending me that workout, and it's killer! I modified it a bit because running at 8-9 mph is more than I can handle. I love doing interval workouts like that one though because it makes them more interesting and they are often more effective, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds kind of fun (is that wierd?) I may have to add it to my wedding work out plan - which doesn't exsist yet, but maybe this will be the start of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin--Thanks!! It's good to be back! I was wondering if you had tried that! I'm glad you liked it!

    Emily--That's not weird at all...but then again some of the things I consider "fun" aren't on others lists...:) I love that you have a wedding workout plan..because that means there is a wedding at the end of that and I am so happy for you...can't wait for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoyed watching you run at track meets - always wished I had long legs like you. Once we get settled here at the river will start walking again - I'm proud of how you keep yourself in shape.

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena