Thursday, January 6, 2011

A Cup of Tea.

Before Whit (BW) I was not much of a coffee drinker. I grew up with my dad who would drink a cup every morning (and sometimes finish that same cup in the afternoon. gross.) and my grandmama always liked a cup as well...but my mom did NOT like coffee and my aunt just brewed it for the smell...so that was somewhat the extent of my education on the bean...very limited. Oh I would drink "coffee drinks"...you know the ones that have more sugar than a donut and the whip cream that leaves that weird residue on the roof of your mouth...but not "real" coffee. So when Whit asked me out for the first time he wanted to know if I would like to go get some coffee...I was so excited that he had asked me I would have probably said yes to going just about anywhere. But I found myself in a dilemma...I didn't know what I would get! I didn't want to get the "girly" coffee drink...but I wanted to be myself...at that time I didn't know what all the different coffee drinks were and I was for sure not going to get black coffee. So when faced with the time to choose I ended up going in a totally different direction and got tea...earl grey to be exact. I love tea. I have loved tea for many years. I like it cold and I like it hot. I like it hot more so...but either way it has always been something I have enjoyed. The funny thing is when we met Whit liked his coffee black with nothing in it..I liked mine with "stuff" in it...I liked my tea with nothing in it...he liked his with a little milk and honey. I now drink my coffee black out of a french press and every now and then I put a little honey and milk in my tea. Who am I!? :)

One of the things that I really love about Whit is his knowledge about any particular subject. He knows the most random facts..interesting..but random. Sometimes I think "Did I miss a class in school or something that taught all these tidbits of information?!" But nonetheless it comes in handy almost daily. When we started dating he introduced me to tea on a whole new level (and coffee). He took me to different stores that sold ALL kinds of different blends and varieties...we would get little samples of different kinds to try and see if I liked. I loved it. Out of that I really came to love green tea. The taste takes some time to get used to (it's very earthy) but it truly does wonders for your skin (seriously) and it has great health benefits as well...one being a cancer preventative.

So this Christmas I asked my mom for a Bodum teapot (picture above)..it's so cool. It holds two cups of tea (you can get bigger if you desire) which is perfect for me. I would love to say that I make it in the morning but I am slightly spoiled. Whit gets up before me and makes his coffee and then brings me my tea and sits it on my bedside table. SO SPOILED. I love the bodum pot because you can put your loose tea leaves in the stainless steel filter...boil your water...then pour the water into the teapot. You let it set for 3-4 minutes(depending on how strong you would like it) then press down the plunger. It's so so good and really simple. I have a cup and half almost every morning and often a cup at night. My tea of choice right now is Earl Green and Jasmine Green. Every now and then I will add some milk and honey but I really enjoy it as is. If you do add honey try to get it from your local farmer's market. When it is local honey it has added benefits...it really helps with allergies seeing that the process involves local flowers while most supermarket honey is from overseas.

If you have never given tea a try I highly recommend it. It has many health benefits and is a great start or end to a day.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're blogging again! I'm not really a tea fan but I love that teapot. Cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love tea, too! When I moved to Boston people told me I'd be a coffee drinker in two years or less. Well in a week it will have been 5 years and I still don't drink coffee, but I do drink tea. I actually prefer black tea (which people tell me is the gateway drug to coffee, ha) and I love a splash of skim milk and a little raw sugar. The best black tea in the States is actually from England, but you can get it at the grocery now - P.G. Tips. Have you tried it?!
    American tea, I've been told, is typically quantity over quality of leaves, so overseas tea is much stronger and flavorful. Okay - I'll stop geeking out about tea on your blog! Glad you're back!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! I'm glad you're back. About the coffee - I, too - LOVE LOVE LOVE the smell of coffee but it and my stomach don't get along - that's why I have never cultivated a taste for it. Will definitely try tea - it would be nice to find something hot to drink - especially in the winter. The amish store in Union City has honey - I'll look this weekend and see if it is homemade. Glad you like the teapot. MUMS

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just recently tried Earl Grey tea for the first time and was suprised that I liked it. I've always liked iced tea (that's kind of a requirement for living in the South, right?), but I never thought I was a "hot tea" kind of girl. It's really growing on me, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea is a drink of distinction (so they say) and you are a woman of distinction (so we all say). May we always put milk and honey in our tea together, and may I always have lots and lots of useless information to share with you!

    ReplyDelete

 
Designed by Lena